Mango & Dulce de Leche Macarons
First we were taken south to some exotic Latin American country with Häagen-Dazs’ super premium Dulce de Leche ice cream mix of sweet cream, swirled with ribbons of golden caramel. Now, our friend at Daydreamers Desserts shares with us her Mango & Dulce de Leche Macaron recipe that is just as rich and delicious as the Häagen-Dazs dessert.
Think of it as a secret meeting between a French macaron and Argentinean alfajores, a full sweet explosive treat to any dulce-lover’s taste buds.
It will take a total of around 55 minutes to make and serves roughly 24 macarons. Here is the recipe:
100 grams almond flour
20 grams freeze dried mango
200 grams confectioners sugar
3 large egg whites, room temperature
30 grams granulated sugar
1 cup dulce de leche
1. Pulse almond flour and dried mango in a food processor until finely ground. Sift confectioners’ sugar, and almond flour mixture together a couple of times into a medium bowl.
2. With a hand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip egg whites until they appear foamy, approximately 30 seconds. While the mixer is running carefully pour in the granulated sugar in a slow stream and continue beating the whites on high until they reach a consistency similar to that of shaving cream. Be careful not to over-beat the egg whites, or the meringue will be too dry.
3. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the meringue all at once. Begin folding, continue folding until the batter resembles a thick pancake batter. The folding should not take more than 50 strokes.
4. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip (Ateco #806 or #807) with the batter and pipe small rounds (1.5 inches in diameter) onto parchment paper or silicone mats lined baking sheets. Let the macarons sit out for 30 minutes to an hour to harden their shells a bit.
5. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
6. When ready, bake for approximately 16-17 minutes, depending on the macaron size they might require a longer baking time. Allow them to cool, then transfer to a wire rack.
7. Fill a pastry bag with the dulce de leche and pipe a small amount onto half of the macaroni shells. Sandwich together. Refrigerate for 24 hours and serve.